Monday, June 6, 2016

INTERVIEW WITH LEWIS CARROLL'S GHOST!


I interviewed Lewis Carroll’s ghost at midnight under a full moon in a graveyard deep in the heart of London.  
 



James: We’re so glad you could join us, Lewis.  We’ve never had a ghost on Project Mayhem.

Lewis: I’m honored to be here.

James: So what’s it like to be a writer in the afterlife?

Lewis:  It’s really not much different.  I write five to six hours a day.  I’m in a writing group.

James: A writing group for ghosts?

Lewis:  Yes.  The other members of the group are Dr. Seuss, Roald Dahl, Beatrix Potter, Madeline L’Engle and Ernest Hemingway.

James:  I didn’t know Ernest Hemingway was a children’s author.

Lewis: Ernest began writing for children soon after he passed away.  He has written six picture books.  Picasso illustrated them.  They’re gorgeous.


James: Has the afterlife changed your writing style at all?

Lewis:  My rhyming has improved.

James: You rhyming was pretty good to begin with.

Lewis:  Tell Edgar Allan Poe that.  He thinks it’s mediocre.



James: How many books have you written as a ghost?

Lewis: 27

James: 27 new children’s books by Lewis Carroll!  What stupendous news!   How can we the living gain access to them?

Lewis: Unfortunately you can’t.  There are stringent copyright laws in the afterlife.  We are only allowed to publish in our dimension.  C.S. Lewis tried to sell a novel to Macmillan last year and got in big trouble.




James: Considering all the literary geniuses floating around, there must be many bookstores in the afterlife.

Lewis: When a bookstore closes in the land of the living, its ghost opens in our realm.  A bookstore’s ghost is an enchanted creature.

James: What do you think of the movie versions of ‘Alice’?

Lewis:  The Tim Burton movie wasn’t bad.

James: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Lewis: Take your time writing your novel.  Don’t be in a rush.  Trust me.  You’re in it for the long haul.




James:  Thank you so much for your time.

Lewis:  My pleasure.

9 comments:

  1. Creative brilliance, James. I got shivers reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a lot of fun reading this. Right now I have a huge smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun interview. That C. S. Lewis, who would have thought he'd try to publish outside his dimension!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun interview. That C. S. Lewis, who would have thought he'd try to publish outside his dimension!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see this group as a dinner party! What a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The phone rang while I was reading this and I couldn't break away to answer. The interview was much better than voice mail urging me to attend a city council meeting. Thanks for the fun interview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I love this. I hope for success in this life first, but glad to know that the dream never dies...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant! I love the idea of ghost bookstores. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!