Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Book Travels by Dawn Lairamore




I’m writing this on my summer vacation, so I guess I have vacations on my mind. Although I’ve never taken a literary-inspired vacation, either because reading about a certain place made me want to visit it in real life or because I wanted to do hands-on research for one of my own projects, I certainly know people who have. In fact, I have an acquaintance who went to Prince Edward Island for her honeymoon simply because of her childhood love for Anne of Green Gables. But recently I heard about a phenomena that really made me want to book a plane flight—and maybe someday I will. I was introduced to Book Towns.

Book Towns are small towns and villages with a high number of (generally used) bookstores. Such towns often host literary festivals or other book-themed events, making them destinations of choice for bibliophiles. I recently learned about Book Towns after listening to a friend describe her visit to Hay-on-Wye, also known as “the town of books.” Hay-on-Wye is located on the Welsh/English border along the River Wye, and like many charming English villages, it has a couple of crumbling castles, a number of beautiful old churches, a clock tower, and a traditional village square and market. It also boasts over two dozen bookstores, quite a sizable number for a village of less than 1,500 residents. This includes a shop specializing in children’s books, another in poetry, and another in mysteries and detective fiction. There’s even a bookshop specializing in maps and another specializing in natural history. This place sounds like a book-lover’s dream! I could probably spend several hours in Murder and Mayhem, the mystery bookshop alone, not to mention the children’s-themed bookstore, of course.


And while the book browsing and shopping holds massive amounts of appeal, I also just adore the idea of being someplace where the entire community is largely based on the love of books. Hay-on-Wye sounds like my kind of place!

Will you be visiting a Book Town or taking a literary-inspired vacation this summer? Or have you ever?



photo credit: Street sign, Edinburgh via photopin (license)
photo credit: Hay On Wye via photopin (license)
photo credit: Hide the Kindle via photopin (license)

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, that sounds like a great town. I didn't know places like that existed. Something to keep in mind next time I'm planning a vacation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best friend and I are going to Prince Edward Island next year!!!! Can't wait to experience the world of Anne Shirley, Emily Starr, and all the other LM Montgomery characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, how exciting! Please take lots of pictures and share them with us.

      Delete
  3. Oh, thank you for this miniature (if virtual) vacation! Nothing more lovely than a Book Town, especially if there are hills to walk nearby and scones to eat later in the afternoon . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books and scones-my idea of a perfect day!

      Delete
  4. I think I might enjoy the "Kingdom of Hay."
    (Despite being British by origin, I've never been there. Next trip "home," perhaps?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say go, if you have the opportunity, Michael. It sounds wonderful. Perhaps Project Mayhem should host a field trip?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!