Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Grudge Match: Character vs. Plot

This poster is all about the characters.
This past weekend my wife and I went to see the Hunger Games movie. My wife hadn’t read the book, but I had read it way back when it was first released. I can still remember finishing the book and then turning to my wife and saying, “This is going to be a huge series, and it BETTER be a movie, too. A great one.” Well, I was right on both accounts. The series has been a blockbuster, and now the movie is a blockbuster, too (and rightfully so, in my opinion).

This poster gives us a bit more about plot.
But after watching the movie, my wife and I were discussing the book and the movie and a question came up that made me stop and think. That question was: Is it the plot that hooks you the most, or is it the characters? I had to really think about this. In the end, I determined that it was the plot that does it for me most. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of the characters as well, but in the end I believe I’d still love the books just as much even if the characters were weak. And that got me thinking about books in general, and which is more important: characters or plot? Not long after my conversation with my wife, I tweeted the “characters vs. plot” question and had some interesting responses. I realize that ideally you want great, fully-realized characters AND a great plot when you’re reading a book. But for the sake of argument, let’s think of which one you take to more, and which one you feel is more crucial to a good book, not just Hunger Games. 

Now I’d like to ask you that question: Which is more important (which do you take to more), plot or characters? And, why?

13 comments:

  1. Characters! I can be reading a book with a creative and exciting plot, but if the characters are insipid or boring or just not well-developed, it's difficult for me to get through. But on the other hand, if I read a book with a so-so plot but the characters are unique and dynamic I'll read it through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I agree that characters are very important. You only need to go so far as to look at the popularity of Seinfeld, the show about nothing. It was all about the characters.

      Delete
  2. This is going to sound like a cop out, but for me it all depends. In The Hunger Games, it was definitely the plot that hooked me, but I think (and I don't have an immediate example) in general I tend to care more about character than plot. I'm certainly better at writing characters than I am at writing plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it does depend. For example, like I said, Hunger Games hooked me with the plot (concept) but a book like FREAK THE MIGHTY hooked me with the characters. We differ because my strength tends to be plotting and concept, which dwarfs my characters sometimes.

      Delete
  3. You'd make us choose?! If pushed, I'd say character, but then I'm gonna go all English Lit major on you and give you some Thomas Hardy (via Novalis) to ruminate on: "Character is Fate."

    And that's my brainbuster for the day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, and my return joust is...fate is character.

      Delete
  4. Well, ideally the character drives the plot, at least that's my opinion of ideal. :-)
    That said, I'll read different books for different reasons. If I'm intrigued by a setting, or a concept I'll stick with a book even if the characters are a bit flat but usually what hooks me is a combination of a well-developed character in an interesting situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, in reaction to your "interesting situation" comment, I have said for years that, for me, the concept must intrigue me to get me to pick a book up to begin with. Usually, a tight plot gets me turning pages, but the concept gets me looking to begin with.

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh, it's a tough question! I think I'd have to say characters first, but plot is def. important. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems the votes are clearly in favor of characters over plot. Thanks, Shannon.

      Delete
  6. It depends on the book. If it's a more action-oriented, adventure-type book, then the plot. A more internally-driven book, it's characters all the way. I enjoy both types of books--it just depends on the mood I'm in.

    And yes, Hunger Games had to be one of the best movie adaptations I've seen in a long time. I know you have to look at a movie as a different medium, but still, I love it when a movie captures the book. It's so rare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I thought the movie captured the essence of the book very well. Same for HUGO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a character driven reader. If I don't like the MC's, you pretty much lose me ASAP. You've GOT to have a good plot to propel the book, but without likable or in a lot of cases hate-able characters, you got jack! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!